Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Little Engine that Could

The Little Engine That Could 
Watty Piper

Of course, anyone who reads picture books to children eventually comes across this classic. The little engine has to chug up the mountain as he pulls his heavy load all the way up to the top in order to fulfill his good deed on the other side.  He puffs as he pulls, "I think I can, I think I can" and pretty soon we are saying it with him. And we are believing he can do it. Up, up, up he chugs. "I think I can....I think I can...faster faster...I think I can, I think I can, until..yes! He makes it! As he slows down at the station he puffs, "I thought I could, I...thought...I...could." Part of the delight of reading this book out loud is that the words he speaks in his pep talk to himself, sound very much like the chugging of a train.

No comments:

Post a Comment