Monday, March 12, 2012

Brave Irene

Brave Irene
William Steig

It takes so much perseverance for Irene to face the bitter cold and one hardship after another. The source of her courage is her love for her mother. Steig is a wonderful story-teller. His Caldecott Medal book, Sylvester and the Magic Pebble is delightful, suspenseful and tender - all rolled up into one great story! I found his style so engaging (for myself!) that I began looking for books by this author. Brave Irene lived up to the standard. Books written by William Steig are pure literary pleasure. I have several other favorites, but I just cannot share them all at once. In this blog we'll spread out the joy.

P.S. After I "discovered" him, I learned that he was a cartoonist for The New Yorker. Oh, and he wrote a movie called "Shrek". See this link if you want to read his picture book original. http://us.macmillan.com/author/williamsteig

No comments:

Post a Comment